P&S Answers

Everything about nothing and other stuff that don't fit in other categories goes here.
Maxidyne
Loading…

Re: P&S Answers

Post by Maxidyne »

You can do it! Any footage appreciated, love following your racing adventures.

Where few survive... Mack bulldogs thrive.

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Post by Plane And Simple »

Update from the last 2 races coming soon, just busy as heck.

Have a couple pictures from the Le Mans start on October 17th.

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Been busy as shit so excuse the lack of updates, but we're racing tomorrow and you still don't know crap about the previous race so here goes:

Last race was in a village about 30min from my house, so 45min less in the car to get there lol. Started at 9 which was pretty damn early but made it there just fine. We were keen on keeping P3 in the championship so we were aiming for top3 in both qualy and race. We had an extra mate come help on the "pitwall" with the timing of the laps and the board and that was such a breather for us.

We had one of the top teams (the one currently P2) missing 2 of the drivers as one rallies and the other one's the son of the person who does the mechanic work for the rally driver, so they had 2 substitute drivers. One very good (won ferrari
challenge a few years back, great man) and one... decent enough to make it to a race. This team is Cáceres Kart, and the one we also fight against is Autorrapid Total. Keep the names.

I went out in qualifying first, and then left the second half to my mate Alex so he could relearn the track. We were there friday on his private kart but we had some tech issues and we spent most of the afternoon fixing his kart so he didn't get much seat time. He did well on the second stint and I got to grab pole for us on the first one. I wasn't too convinced on doing the race start but I had to per strategy as I was the fastest driver - We go fastest - slowest - middle so as to build a gap, use it up and hopefully hold the remainder of it through the last stint and that's what we tried this time, again.

We set up for the race start and with me leading pole, we were on it. I lost about 5 positions on the start, white Autorrapid picked up P1 and started building the gap. While battling traffic I was slower, so gap built to about 30 seconds. At about 15 minutes in I was already P2 and managed to pick up pace to match the leader's. 1h15min went in without incident albeit pretty painfully as this track didn't leave and break to rest my back (I move around the seat a lot and tend to hold myself for lack of rib protection - saving for that - which is painful muscularly but I manage). I pitted and my other friend went in.

Javi did well, with a great pace overall matching and in the end being faster than P1, but he did get in trouble with the "bad" driver from Caceres kart (which is a shame, it's usually a very clean team) who spun him once, and another contact with someone else. That meant we were now lapped, so gap was pretty big. Javi managed to keep it pinned to get to the last driver swap, when Alex took over.

Alex did well with a good kart. About one second slower than me yet about 0.7 faster than P1. By about 2h30m we were 15 seconds (1/3 of a lap) behind the leaders, Autorrapid. By 15 minutes to the finish we overtook them at the start/finish straight. They defended very heavily but the slipstream gave us the extra speed and we got them on turn one with literally screaming spectators lol. Held it to the end beautifully and managed to come P1 in the race, and now P1 in the championship.

Sorry for the "short" post but need to sleep now. Waking up in 6 hours to drive to tomorrow's race. Watch it here: https://extv.es/#/content/content-category/7196 Look for "7 de Noviembre" (tomorrow) icon which should be up tomorrow by 9 or 10AM. We're starting right then. After we finish by 2:30, there's a competition kart meeting which will be insane also - 2 friends race as well.

Here are the pictures:

Ft fancy pit board - Don't worry we got a sick upgrade for this race - I'll show you tomorrow.

Maxidyne
Loading…

Post by Maxidyne »

I watched the race for about 10 minutes, but then our crap internet connection started to act up so I couldn't watch anymore. Hope you had a good race, and keep writing the race weekend reports. You write good and I like following your race adventures. Keep it up!

Where few survive... Mack bulldogs thrive.

CDMC
Admin
Admin
Loading…

Post by CDMC »

can you fix the images :D

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Don't they show? They show fine for me.

Race post from 2 other races soon. Just tired as hell when I got the time to post lol.

CDMC
Admin
Admin
Loading…

Post by CDMC »

if you click on it, but not normaly, it just says "Image" :D

oh nevermind, these pictures are from facebook, i know why they are not shown properly for me. i have everything that has anything to do with facebook blocked.

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

CDMC wrote:
15 Nov 2021, 15:02
if you click on it, but not normaly, it just says "Image" :D

oh nevermind, these pictures are from facebook, i know why they are not shown properly for me. i have everything that has anything to do with facebook blocked.
Yep thats why. I'll download and repost then next time.

CDMC
Admin
Admin
Loading…

Post by CDMC »

dont worry about it :D i can just click on link to see it :D all good man

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Well sucks I have to upload these ones manually because I got them from a different souce right? :emoji23:

ANYWAY

We're like a month late and I'm not even sorry for it. I should be but It's been fun being busy since. Sunday the 24th of October we forgot about the FEXA Endurance Series, my reginal championship, and headed to Sevilla (Seville) for the AKEX (Acronym of "Karting Friends of Extremadura" (region)) XIII championship - That's the one I raced in Évora, Portugal, for. My parents decided to tag along with me, so we went to Sevilla a day early, got a hotel for a night and went to do some sightseeing. Good days in a city I hadn't been to in around 7 years, pleasantly surprised with the environment, people, sights... very beautiful day. But onto the good stuff...

9:30AM on Sunday the 24th of October we met in Karting Sevilla for the second race of the season. I wasn't expecting anything at all seeing how bad Évora went. As you might remember Race 1 was fine while second race was horrible, so I just went there with the aim of learning as much as I could, and to finish within the last 5 - So in the P17-P22 range sort of thing. No high expectations at all. We got to the track, said our hellos to those we know, nodded our heads to those we don't know, and changed to the kit. Still wearing the wrong gloves but it's time to go ahead and get proper gloves - will happen in the next day or two and I'll hopefully have them by Sunday when we race again. This is today's layout:

Kart draft took place, the usual briefing, and we were off. Format was 5' qualifying + 20' race on the standard track and 5' qualifying + 20' race on the reverse layout. Kart felt fine at first. It was fucking freezing, excuse my french, so it did stall a couple times. They don't choke them on start up as we'd have to stop and remove choke once it warms up) while waiting, so I just waited until we got greenlit for qualy and started it then and just went. No faults whatsoever and it felt decently fast.

I hadn't been on this track before so it was all new, but it was one of those tracks that I like: Moderately technical and still pretty fast. Spent the previous couple days studying the layout and racing line, but as always, you never know how to do it until you're there. We were racing with the bigger 390cc karts so off I went with what I'm used to, as my track owns those and not the smaller 270cc. This is a plus, but in my mind I wasn't even thinking about it. Went for it and spent those 5 minutes making sure I knew how to get around.

Turns out I didn't do so bad. Qualified P10 of 22 so pleasantly surprised. Just about a second and a quarter off P1. I don't like being in the middle of amateur championships like these as people get aggressive and I can be pushed out in a second - won't happen when you start at the front or at the back but beggars can't be choosers. We formed up the grid and sat there for a bit, while hearing all the private 2 and 4 strokes warm up in the pitlane to go out after our races were done.

My mind tends to be totally blank during this time. I've heard some people discuss race strategy, grab some water, think of what they'll do at the start if X Y or Z happens, but I just don't. I recheck the helmet is on comfortably, visor's clear of crap (it never is), vents are open, gloves are on properly, suit is tucked properly in gloves and shoes and as soon as that's done, and unless somebody comes to talk to me, I just sit there and wait. Not really thinking about how we're about to get punted to hell by the latest unknown Lewis Halmilton or how we're about to win this race (Spoiler: Neither usually happens).

About 5 minutes later, everyone starts getting on the karts and lights go on. Count to less than 5 and lights are already off and we're heading onto turn one. I have a good start and manage to hold onto my spot, but I'm on the outside and that's where every crash ends up. We make it through, turns 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Fighting through the pack with close racing I manage to hold onto my spot for about 4-5 laps. Decently comfortable, I do loose time on some corners (namely the 6 and 7 combination, and 21 - last corner) but otherwise make it up with a ton of faith going full throttle through turns 11 to 16, the back straight with the 2 chicanes).

Race goes by and about half way through, when I'm catching up with the P5 to P9 group, approaching the 180 turn that is turn 3, I get hit from behind on braking, pretty heavily at about 40 KPH just before the pitlane exit - the end of turn 2. When my head comes back to it's normal angle and I reset my foot on the brake, I'm already way past the apex and going very wide very fast. I decide to turn it as best as I can while on the asphalt and try make it through on the gas while on the grass. When I step on it, I floor it again and have the kart turned just enough to make the corner and rejoin the black stuff right before the kerb. I look back and it's 4 karts that went off from that incident including me. Lost 2 maybe 3 spots but we're still in one piece, not hurt and going, so we didn't fare off too bad.

Now lost a lot of time with the guys in front, so it's time to salvage it as best as we can. I do see the people behind approaching but manage to hold them off for the time being. Laps go on and while physically I'm starting to feel drained, we're going just fine. Mind's where it needs to be and while I was waiting for the checkered, I see a sign: 2V. Indicates 2 vueltas: 2 laps to go. Fuck, I'm tired lol. Heck, it's only 2, I'll push. Gap increases a bit, not enough to get close to anyone in front but surely enough to hold off who was chasing me behind. 2 more laps go by and checkered is here. Open visor, cool down, breathe a bit and onto the pits. Plenty of handshakes and an apology from the hit prior, where I learnt it was a chain reaction from those 4 karts including me, caused by one who for some reason braked too late. Oh well. We're good and we come into the pits.

We went ahead and rested for 15 minutes or so. Much better than the 5 minutes they let us rest on the previous race. After, we raffled the karts again and off we went for qualifying.

My kart this time felt slower for some reason. In the end I came to find it was likely me but it just suited me less. Qualified about 2 seconds off the pace, which is expected. I spent a lot of time studying the starndard layout and not too much on the reverse. But I was getting it quickly so that was cool. Not too unhappy with it.

Race started and went without incident. My lower back was killing me on turns 3-4-5 of the reverse layout, but I was pretty fast out of 7 and 14. Overall, and excuse the lack of detail because there are no pictures to go with it, learnt it pretty fast and got on the pace easily, until the last 5 minutes where I just couldn't stand the pain anymore on 3-4-5 and had to back off of it a little, loosing about a second and a bit per lap.

Before that, I was catching up with the group in front, fighting from P12 to P17. in the last couple laps, the kart started loosing power on the straight so I lost the 2 spots I managed to gain from that, finishing P18. Not too bad given the circumstances. Took the in lap slow and grabbed some much needed O2 on the way in

Overall a positive and fun day. New track that I did enjoy and decent performance coming from the toughest endurance race I've ever done the previous week. Not too shabby. Overall, P15 on the day and P17 on the championship. Good stuff.

Next week we meet again at KIP in Palmela, Lisbon, but before that, I'll post the last race of the FEXA Endurance Championship, if it all goes well, sometime this week.
Last edited by Plane And Simple on 16 Nov 2021, 00:25, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Discussions”