P&S Answers

Everything about nothing and other stuff that don't fit in other categories goes here.

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator
Posts Liked: 1673 times

Post by Plane And Simple »

It's a neck brace yes. Tested it the other day and it was a great experience! Loved it.

On another note. Qick translation + touch up of the spanish post in my socials, plus pictures. Can't have you guys waiting any longer :D

Last Sunday, November 7th, we had the last round of the FEXA Endurance Series. My team would seek to validate the two good results of the previous races to win the championship. It was enough for us to be P5 or higher while having the second team in the championship (TR Motorsport - Autorrapid Total) win the race for us to win the championship

Sunday morning started with very low temperatures. Zero degrees made the track improve in qualifying with each lap. During it, Álex and Javi, my teammates, qualified for us, very soon realizing that the kart lacked a ton of pace, so we simply tried to get the best of it. We Qualified P6, happy with the result such a kart we had.

At the start, we lost several places, falling to P8. Although the kart did have a better top speed, it lagged a bit behind at the starts, but Álex did a good job holding positions.

After 45 minutes there was a red flag, luckily without consequences, which led to a rolling start with the grid formed from the previous in race positions. The same thing happened again and starting P8 we fell to P10. Álex, in his stint, managed to go back to P6, with a very good pace as always.

In the second stint Javi came out. Having set a best time of 1:12.5 in practice, we quickly saw that his kart did not have the pace at all, he was only able to set between 1:16 and 1:17. As the laps went by, we saw how, despite Javi's great driving, several teams overtook us to finish his stint in P9. At this time, and with TR Motorsport - Autorrapid Total in P1, we knew that the championship was lost, but we still had the runner-up spot in our hands, pending the actions of Crash Bandicoot and Cáceres Kart (P3 and P4 teams respectively).

To end it off, I went out to try to gain back as much time as possible. With 45 minutes to go, the push message was shown in our pitboard (which is insane by the way, it was gifted to us, I love it). They told me that there was a group from P5 to P8 fighting within 15 seconds from me. I gave it everything and braced myself, unknowingly, for another heart attack finale.

We reach the last 10 minutes and I find the P5-P8 group struggling, with Nico Abella leading the way (Clio Cup driver, he's insane). I study them several laps and with 5 minutes to go I start attacking. I manage to pass one of the drivers in the first corner, and I position myself to wait for the error of the two leaders. Seeing that they wouldn't make a mistake at all, I get myself into the fight and manage to go out to the back straight with more speed by taking a later apex and looser line, putting myself P5 and guaranteeing that position that we need for the championship. At the next corner, Nico overtakes me again and the other driver passes with him. We return to P7.

On the last lap, I replay my work again: better exit to the straight, and I pass them both. With two corners to go, I place myself 0.5m over the kerb more than I should have been, and Nico takes the opportunity to place himself in front and force me wide. To avoid hitting him, I have to lift, as he already has the spot gained.

Finally, we crossed the finish line in P8, proclaiming ourselves Extremadura Endurance Runners-up.

First of all, thank the Federation, and especially our dear Ángel Santos for organizing the championship. We'd also like to congratulate TR Motorsport - Autorrapid Total, as they have made a sublime championship and totally deserved the win.

And also thank Alex and Javi for the insane championship they have raced, Carlos Rodríguez and Don Benito Karting for so many good times on and off the track. Also, of course, to Alberto Conejero and especially his son Javi, for welcoming me as if we had known each other forever. People like all of these make this sport great.

See you in the next one!

Maxidyne
Posts Liked: 8621 times
Loading…

Post by Maxidyne »

That was exciting to read!

Where few survive... Mack bulldogs thrive.

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Cheers :D

So I was wondering wether to post this on the purchase thread or not but seeing as I use this thread to keep track of my stuff then here it goes anyway.

I've always had a bit of trouble with lower back pain when racing/training, mainly because I move around the seat a bit and I just thought I was kind of out of shape. I introduced a couple new series on my workout to try work around it and thought it'd get better with time, but last month, when we raced in Palmela (Last race after the one you see here ^^^, didn't post about it yet. Sorry I'm too busy), in Portugal, I figured it might not be only me being out of shape.

When we got there I got a kart which had seat padding on it. About 2-4cm per side. When you get in you step on the bottom of the seat, squat down like a slav and then slide your feet forward until your ass slides all the way down to the seat. I went to do that and I had to push my ass down because of the padding. This is something everyone has to do (karting seats are in a pear shape when seen from the front/back) but I didn't, so I thought hm, this might be annoying when racing. Fuck was I wrong. Didn't move more than 1-2cm when driving. It's still not ideal but definitely an improvement. Back pain was 100% gone and I could have raced for 3 hours if need be. Super comfortable and much less tiring.

So second part comes. I had been eyeing rib protectors for a while. I always set the excuse of "I'm ok right now without it" "Rental karting doesn't need those" "I'm fit enough to deal with the forces" etc. Mainly because for some crap ones you're looking at 100 or so € and for good ones you're looking at 180+€ and fuck no I'm not spending that on something that'll just make things (apparently) slightly better. You have the expensive Options like the Bengio Carbon (220€), Bengio Bumper (180€) and the cheaper options like Alpinestars or Sparco. Then there's also the very expensive options but let's not go there.

So my stupid ass gets one of those "Hm I feel I need to peek at em shops" feelings one day. And I also eye the second hand market a tad. These things get scratched up easy as people (for some weird reason) wear them outside of their suit (someone please explain lol), but eh as long as they're nice and whole who cares. I wasn't going to buy now because of pricing. A friend of mine was selling an alpinestars one for like 100€ but it seemed a little expensive. only 20€ bellow list price and still a low end model so I didn't go for it. He was also selling it to buy a bengio carbon so I got that feeling of buy cheap pay twice kinda thing. Carbon one is overkill to me but still.

I kept looking at second hand stuff and all while working kind of overtime (I set my own schedule and whatnot, I teach people aged 13-18 and I can take as little or as many hours as I please), and a Bengio Bumper popped up for 80€ shipping included. SM size so small-medium. Might be slightly small but Heck, it's 60% off retail price and it's only scratched up from a bit of use. The foam inside is brand new, velcros are brand new, and only the outer shell is worn because my guy wore it outside of the suit.

So I got it last week. I should go test it some time next week as long as schedule allows with the festivities, and some friends that want to join are available. Will report back.

Here are a few pictures of my one:

It's interesting because the previous model used to have a D ring in the chest area to hold it in place, but in the newer model (couple years old afaik) they did away with it and put the velcro in. Tried it on so far and I feel it's so much better as velcro is super elastic yet tight so you can breathe perfectly. Happy with it but waiting on some test day to go try it.

These are the other ones:

Bengio Carbon:

Alpinestars:

Sparco:

Typical wear on a bengio after some use outside of the suit + old model with the D Rings. First one's damage is very local. It usually extends to a palm's size around the side. See second shot:

Seller picture of the one I bought. Some of those light scratched or crap came off with a clean. No deep ones or bent bits or anything (might look like it but it's just the foam, I already put that back in place with my fingers lol). A damn steal for 80 euros if you ask me.

Alex
Posts Liked: 493 times

Post by Alex »

Nice! Worth protecting your back for sure. Enjoy reading about your races!
-Alex

Maxidyne
Loading…

Post by Maxidyne »

Another good investment! Protect your back. I told this before: really like the way you write, fun to read. Keep it up, really like your racing adventures.

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

At this rate I'll be getting eyelid protectors as well :emoji23: As they say I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Total gear investment right now is about 500€. Could well be on my way to get a kart for myself if I hadn't got all this but just as with bikes, you buy the gear and then the bike and not the other way around.

CDMC
Admin
Admin
Posts Liked: 6829 times
Loading…

Post by CDMC »

good saying :D i use that with cables, fuck it, buy it, ill use it eventually. instead when you need it and don't have it, so then you have to make it and that can open another can of worms :D

but this is about safety so its of course more important. Enjoy your fancy gear :D

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

CDMC wrote:
2021/12/21 01:01
good saying :D i use that with cables, fuck it, buy it, ill use it eventually. instead when you need it and don't have it, so then you have to make it and that can open another can of worms :D

but this is about safety so its of course more important. Enjoy your fancy gear :D
Right. For cables and cheap accessories like that I do that too. Kind of in a lower scale because the amount of crap I do have is already big, but agreed. It's not a "let me have it just in case I use it" here but a "let me have it just for when I use it" lol. Won't hurt and I need something that I can spend my money on and look forward to.

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

So a few days back my friends said they wanted to book a karting session all together for a bit of fun. Decently fast people for the most part so I wasn't going to pull ahead 2+ seconds a lap and be bored. Decided to use that as the test day for the rib protector.

Overall although it feels slightly small (maybe one size?) It's so much more comfortable than driving without. The new seating position is weird for now (I'm slightly more forwards due to the thickness of the protector) but it's something I'll get used to for sure. I don't normally record these but my friends wanted to see themselves lol so here is a little something. My friend and I both suited up because it was meant to rain and we didn't feel like getting wet. I hate doing this for a fun stint like this because it looks tryhard as fuck, but while I'm modest I'm not stupid and I wasn't going to get wet lol.

I wasn't really trying to be fast, as my kart was a slower one. Just trying to have fun and test the understeer behavior on these, as it had just rained not long ago and track was drying up. This is at my local track so layout can be found a couple pages back. Qualified third, ended third after a shit start. 10+20 format for Q+R. I bumped the camera while putting on the helmet so up until the 10 minute mark you can't see forwards too well, but from there on my friend catches up (Javi whom I race with) and we have some fun. Good times. Part1+2 because I can't merge them from the laptop but yeah, here's it:

Maxidyne
Loading…

Post by Maxidyne »

Enjoyed the videos! Glad to hear the protector fits and feels good. Very decent driving, I miss racing. Used to do some Sunday evening competitions in the past.

Return to “General Discussions”