P&S Answers

Everything about nothing and other stuff that don't fit in other categories goes here.
Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Re: P&S Answers

Post by Plane And Simple »

This was just practice. Went with the 2 others in my team and spent a bit of time. Race on the 12th with the streams. Will post :D

CDMC
Admin
Admin
Loading…

Post by CDMC »

hell yea, best of luck, wanna see the stream! :)

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Alright folks, we're racing.

Small update first: After the practice day a couple days back one of our drivers started feeling pretty dizzy. He thought it was just because he'd been up since 6AM that day and was just tired, but dizziness lasted for well over 2 days, so doctors didn't clear him to take part on this race until he's tested. Another friend of mine is taking over his spot. He's not really raced semi-professionally like this but he's fast enough to get the spot. I'm meeting with him tomorrow to get him up to speed with strategies, regulations and all that stuff.

Also, my suit is (still) at the graphics designer. IAAG logo didn't make it on this one as I need to tweak a few things on the PSD myself and didn't have the time (I'm presenting my end of degree project next week and been busy as hell), but i'll take it again so that it's added for the next race in another couple weeks. Hope they call me tomorrow saying it's done, otherwise no graphics at all for this race.

As for the race: Starts at 17:30 GMT (19:30 local) with a 20 minute qualifying. Race itself starts at 18:00 GMT (20:00 local) and lasts 3 hours. We expect 3 stops and if it all goes well my mate with the Alonso helmet will go first, my other friend with no gear whatsoever will go after and I'll finish off from 22 to 23:00 local time to end the race.

We need to discuss the non-normal strategy (calculate pit winows for certain pace differences, safety kart situations, possible red flags and whatnot) which we'll hopefully do tomorrow, but otherwise it all looks alright. Again, looking forward to a bit of luck.

Here's the stream link. There have been complaints of them only showing the driver on P1 but they were apparently going to fix it for this other championship. Hope they do. If they don't let me know and I'll personally talk to the organizers see what we can do.

https://extv.es/#/content/content-detail/31485

Again, Sunday at 17:30PM UK time, or 19:30 Western European time :) If I'm not ultra busy during the actual race I might drop an instagram/discord live for you if you're present.

Maxidyne
Loading…

Post by Maxidyne »

CET?

Good luck with the race and I will be watching the stream like I did the last time. Fun to watch!

Where few survive... Mack bulldogs thrive.

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Maxidyne wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 14:39
CET?

Good luck with the race and I will be watching the stream like I did the last time. Fun to watch!
Yep. Your time and mine is the same so our local is your local haha. Thanks!

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

So first race is done :D

We got to the track at around 18:20 and went straight to weight in and set up. Briefing after and we got the fastest kart on track, #12 with over a 1 second lead per lap. Qualified P1 and started poorly dropping to P3, but after a couple corners we were back to P1 and gaining around 2 seconds per lap thanks to our driver as well who's very fast on this track. It was 3 hours and we planned a 1h/1h/1h stint strategy but seeing how fast he was we pulled him in at around 1h25min.

Second stint came and we had one of my friends as a replacement driver because our main driver (another competitive driver who studies engineering with me) got sick and didn't get the all clear from the doctor as I told you guys. My friend's pace was acceptable as he hadn't been to this track and doesn't race. They caught up by about 3/4 of a lap, so still around 1.75/2 laps advantage. He raced for around 45 minutes and ran around 1:14.2

I hopped it just before one hour to go. This kart was way better in braking than any one I got at that track before so it took me around 5-6 laps to adjust. I was running around 1:13.4 which is average for a standard kart, but slow for our first stint which was around 1:11.1. It was all looking pretty promising, still leading with over a lap advantage, close to 2 laps, so I was feeling really good. Didn't know the guys on P3 were flying and about to catch up on P2, but I was just doing my thing and holding my pace. Had a few hard laps with backmarkers but otherwise felt really good both physically and mentally. Also had a very good fight with one of the backmarkers which was (even though it cost us time) very enjoyable. I was wondering when was it ending towards the end. Apparently we were about 1 minute from the end when...

The kart started cutting out on turn 4 (out of 19).

I gave it a few more turns and leant down to check for fuel. Plenty of fuel, throttle cable just fine... something just wasn't working. By the time I get to around turn 6 where the teams staged up with the message boards I bring my hands up to let them know I'm going to stop to swap. I already knew we'd likely loose P1 but would still hopefully be on the podium unless it cut out midway through. Turn 7, 8, 9... seems to be recovering, no stuttering but still slow. People unlapping themselves while I hold my hand up to warn them. Towards turn 17 I see it recover a bit of power, and by the start/finish straight I see the race director grab (but not wave) the checkered. Last lap. I was thinking I should be able to make it even if it's P3-4-whatever. We're back onto turn 1-2 and the kart just quite literally cuts out and stops. I park away from the track, jump the fuck up and race to get the number off with the transponder, as well as the clips holding it.

From here on I sprint for my life. Never have I taken such huge steps. 55 meters of sprint to the box in which I start screaming at the team to get the spare kart. They sprint to the pits while the track's maintenance team is already sprinting as well to get the first spare started. When I get there I start putting the race number onto the kart, but they quickly take over as my hands couldn't aim for the clip hole for my life. I jump in, gas out and out we go for the last lap. Turn 2 just fine, turn 3 I realise this kart doesn't brake at all. Adjust accordingly. Drop almost close to 3 tenths I'd say per corner. No one really overtook me during this last lap but I had no idea where I was. P2? P3? P5? I didn't even care honestly. It was fun. Sucks that we had the podium and just probably lost it on the absolute last lap but that's racing. And that is rental kart racing especifically. It was good fun though.

I cross the line and see the checkered. Look back and the faces I see don't look familiar so I still have no idea where I'm at. I congratulate everyone that passes by on the in lap and I'm equally congratulated by those I pass. Good stuff, good fun and I loved it. I'm perhaps much less frustrated than I should be. We pit in, I get out. P3, my friend tells me. Team congratulates me, other teams congratulate us, say sorry, and we congratulate all of the others too for the great fun. Results say we came out in P3, my other friend tells me. Not too bad given the circumstances. We held the lead pretty well and we just evened out the luck from the fast car with the breakdown.

Podium was fun, lots of laughs and good fun even though we didn't know the winners really. The initial P2 team held onto their P2 while the ones who started P3 paced up to P1 in the end. We got P3. I'll take that. I'll even take this amount of luck for the next race. We finished 2 spots below where we should have finished, but still 11 spots below where we could have finished.

Surreal experience, to be honest. Seeing the guys from the maintenance team run for their life to get the kart started and running for me was absolutely insane. Proves how adenaline pumps in these races. Getting congratulated by the Rally driver I spoke to you all about, who just got P2, are big words. Loved that too. Overall a very positive experience in spite of the Toyota in Le Mans kind of scenario.

We race again, for a different championship, in two weeks in Evora, Portugal. I'll keep you posted.

Have a few pictures while you wait. Waiting on the on-track photographer to post his. Will share. Me on the red/black alpinestars overalls, white mask.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
P.S: Just realised I didn't post how the overalls ended up looking lol Excuse me for a bit while I go get those pics.
► Show Spoiler

Maxidyne
Loading…

Post by Maxidyne »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Where few survive... Mack bulldogs thrive.

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Good to hear! The TV crews left early because it was too dark so you didn't miss much. Otherwise, yeah, fun race.

Here are some pics:

Still first? OK good

"O shit get the spare"

Alright we got the spare

Return to “General Discussions”