P&S Answers

Everything about nothing and other stuff that don't fit in other categories goes here.
Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Re: P&S Answers

Post by Plane And Simple »

This was just practice. Went with the 2 others in my team and spent a bit of time. Race on the 12th with the streams. Will post :D

CDMC
Admin
Admin
Loading…

Post by CDMC »

hell yea, best of luck, wanna see the stream! :)

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Alright folks, we're racing.

Small update first: After the practice day a couple days back one of our drivers started feeling pretty dizzy. He thought it was just because he'd been up since 6AM that day and was just tired, but dizziness lasted for well over 2 days, so doctors didn't clear him to take part on this race until he's tested. Another friend of mine is taking over his spot. He's not really raced semi-professionally like this but he's fast enough to get the spot. I'm meeting with him tomorrow to get him up to speed with strategies, regulations and all that stuff.

Also, my suit is (still) at the graphics designer. IAAG logo didn't make it on this one as I need to tweak a few things on the PSD myself and didn't have the time (I'm presenting my end of degree project next week and been busy as hell), but i'll take it again so that it's added for the next race in another couple weeks. Hope they call me tomorrow saying it's done, otherwise no graphics at all for this race.

As for the race: Starts at 17:30 GMT (19:30 local) with a 20 minute qualifying. Race itself starts at 18:00 GMT (20:00 local) and lasts 3 hours. We expect 3 stops and if it all goes well my mate with the Alonso helmet will go first, my other friend with no gear whatsoever will go after and I'll finish off from 22 to 23:00 local time to end the race.

We need to discuss the non-normal strategy (calculate pit winows for certain pace differences, safety kart situations, possible red flags and whatnot) which we'll hopefully do tomorrow, but otherwise it all looks alright. Again, looking forward to a bit of luck.

Here's the stream link. There have been complaints of them only showing the driver on P1 but they were apparently going to fix it for this other championship. Hope they do. If they don't let me know and I'll personally talk to the organizers see what we can do.

https://extv.es/#/content/content-detail/31485

Again, Sunday at 17:30PM UK time, or 19:30 Western European time :) If I'm not ultra busy during the actual race I might drop an instagram/discord live for you if you're present.

Maxidyne
Loading…

Post by Maxidyne »

CET?

Good luck with the race and I will be watching the stream like I did the last time. Fun to watch!

Where few survive... Mack bulldogs thrive.

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Maxidyne wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 14:39
CET?

Good luck with the race and I will be watching the stream like I did the last time. Fun to watch!
Yep. Your time and mine is the same so our local is your local haha. Thanks!

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

So first race is done :D

We got to the track at around 18:20 and went straight to weight in and set up. Briefing after and we got the fastest kart on track, #12 with over a 1 second lead per lap. Qualified P1 and started poorly dropping to P3, but after a couple corners we were back to P1 and gaining around 2 seconds per lap thanks to our driver as well who's very fast on this track. It was 3 hours and we planned a 1h/1h/1h stint strategy but seeing how fast he was we pulled him in at around 1h25min.

Second stint came and we had one of my friends as a replacement driver because our main driver (another competitive driver who studies engineering with me) got sick and didn't get the all clear from the doctor as I told you guys. My friend's pace was acceptable as he hadn't been to this track and doesn't race. They caught up by about 3/4 of a lap, so still around 1.75/2 laps advantage. He raced for around 45 minutes and ran around 1:14.2

I hopped it just before one hour to go. This kart was way better in braking than any one I got at that track before so it took me around 5-6 laps to adjust. I was running around 1:13.4 which is average for a standard kart, but slow for our first stint which was around 1:11.1. It was all looking pretty promising, still leading with over a lap advantage, close to 2 laps, so I was feeling really good. Didn't know the guys on P3 were flying and about to catch up on P2, but I was just doing my thing and holding my pace. Had a few hard laps with backmarkers but otherwise felt really good both physically and mentally. Also had a very good fight with one of the backmarkers which was (even though it cost us time) very enjoyable. I was wondering when was it ending towards the end. Apparently we were about 1 minute from the end when...

The kart started cutting out on turn 4 (out of 19).

I gave it a few more turns and leant down to check for fuel. Plenty of fuel, throttle cable just fine... something just wasn't working. By the time I get to around turn 6 where the teams staged up with the message boards I bring my hands up to let them know I'm going to stop to swap. I already knew we'd likely loose P1 but would still hopefully be on the podium unless it cut out midway through. Turn 7, 8, 9... seems to be recovering, no stuttering but still slow. People unlapping themselves while I hold my hand up to warn them. Towards turn 17 I see it recover a bit of power, and by the start/finish straight I see the race director grab (but not wave) the checkered. Last lap. I was thinking I should be able to make it even if it's P3-4-whatever. We're back onto turn 1-2 and the kart just quite literally cuts out and stops. I park away from the track, jump the fuck up and race to get the number off with the transponder, as well as the clips holding it.

From here on I sprint for my life. Never have I taken such huge steps. 55 meters of sprint to the box in which I start screaming at the team to get the spare kart. They sprint to the pits while the track's maintenance team is already sprinting as well to get the first spare started. When I get there I start putting the race number onto the kart, but they quickly take over as my hands couldn't aim for the clip hole for my life. I jump in, gas out and out we go for the last lap. Turn 2 just fine, turn 3 I realise this kart doesn't brake at all. Adjust accordingly. Drop almost close to 3 tenths I'd say per corner. No one really overtook me during this last lap but I had no idea where I was. P2? P3? P5? I didn't even care honestly. It was fun. Sucks that we had the podium and just probably lost it on the absolute last lap but that's racing. And that is rental kart racing especifically. It was good fun though.

I cross the line and see the checkered. Look back and the faces I see don't look familiar so I still have no idea where I'm at. I congratulate everyone that passes by on the in lap and I'm equally congratulated by those I pass. Good stuff, good fun and I loved it. I'm perhaps much less frustrated than I should be. We pit in, I get out. P3, my friend tells me. Team congratulates me, other teams congratulate us, say sorry, and we congratulate all of the others too for the great fun. Results say we came out in P3, my other friend tells me. Not too bad given the circumstances. We held the lead pretty well and we just evened out the luck from the fast car with the breakdown.

Podium was fun, lots of laughs and good fun even though we didn't know the winners really. The initial P2 team held onto their P2 while the ones who started P3 paced up to P1 in the end. We got P3. I'll take that. I'll even take this amount of luck for the next race. We finished 2 spots below where we should have finished, but still 11 spots below where we could have finished.

Surreal experience, to be honest. Seeing the guys from the maintenance team run for their life to get the kart started and running for me was absolutely insane. Proves how adenaline pumps in these races. Getting congratulated by the Rally driver I spoke to you all about, who just got P2, are big words. Loved that too. Overall a very positive experience in spite of the Toyota in Le Mans kind of scenario.

We race again, for a different championship, in two weeks in Evora, Portugal. I'll keep you posted.

Have a few pictures while you wait. Waiting on the on-track photographer to post his. Will share. Me on the red/black alpinestars overalls, white mask.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
P.S: Just realised I didn't post how the overalls ended up looking lol Excuse me for a bit while I go get those pics.
► Show Spoiler

Maxidyne
Loading…

Post by Maxidyne »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Where few survive... Mack bulldogs thrive.

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Good to hear! The TV crews left early because it was too dark so you didn't miss much. Otherwise, yeah, fun race.

Here are some pics:

Still first? OK good

"O shit get the spare"

Alright we got the spare

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Went to see the regional motorcycle championship today. Superb times, tight racing and cool ambiance as always in my local track. Saw they put up this, a banner for Hugo. He's always in someone's helmet, suit or podium celebration. Pretty emotional.

I'm also racing tomorrow in Evora in some "for fun" regional championship. Pretty good racers from what I know so we'll see where we end up. No livestream or anything but I'll keep you posted.

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Well hello again over here.

Sorry it's been a while and I should have posted this sooner but just didn't want this one to be another melancholy post so I decided to wait it out a bit. If you follow Superbikes / MotoGP, you'll know Dean Berta Viñales passed away September 25th on a very similar accident as we saw with Millán. Lots of memories from that day 2 months ago with the same kind of crash and same end result.

So after a few days of reflecting on some stuff and some other days in which I've been too busy to have time to write this up, here we are, 15 days late or something, but whatever.

As I said we were racing in Évora, Portugal. One hour drive away from me or so, maybe a little further. The previous days I did study the track as best as I could to not be in too much of a disadvantage, which I would be in anyway seeing as this league's average driver age is around 35 and these guys have been going to these tracks for 20 of those years. Also got my suit fixed up (one of the letters at the back peeled off a bit so a quick work to replace it at the shop did it) and spent a few days talking to a very kind young chap that races with us on the endurance championship about the racing line for Évora.

Race would be 5' qualifying + 15' race on Heat 1 to then move onto a kart swap and another 5' qualifying + 20' race on Heat 2, on the reverse layout of the track. Both of them I did study as I said but I knew i'd perform much better on the normal layout but off we went.

I got there right on time and changed to the karting gear. Said hello to the rest of the racers and a friend, who joined me on this league, and got the briefing done and dusted. Pretty welcoming and kind people. One of them I followed for a long time on our P3 Endurance race, very good driver and a superb guy.

We got onto the karts and qualifying started. 23 karts on track was a huge bunch and 5' were far from enough to set a clean lap, also too little to let the pack disperse and make space for yourself at the back. I qualified P18 out of those 23 about 1.8 seconds off the pace. Pretty disappointing but I didn't feel super bad about it. Wasn't expecting to be above 15th anyway with a perfect lap so it wasn't too bad.

Race got underway shortly after, we barely got off the karts and on again. Overall very clean racing, packed and close fights and not a bad feeling. I didn't want to be the new guy that came crashing the party so I did take it a little easier than I normally would but it's not like I could do much more with the space we had on track and the whole buch of cars we had in there. I did loose a somewhat big amount of time (2-3 seconds total) due to a couple crashes/spins happening in front. Seeing what's been going on I take no risk anymore around those and just hand up and slow right down. Overall, I stood right in the fight between P15-P19 and ended up P17. I was happy with it based on the circumstances. If these are the fast guys from my region I'm doing well overall.

After the 1st Heat we stopped for about 3 minutes to drink up and rearrange the karts. We got onto qualifying again and we had the same issues: 5' lead to bunched up traffic, no clean laps and just a "give it a go see what happens" kind of thing. Qualified P19 this time. As this layout was trickier, I couldn't get the car turned onto the hairpin that led to the back straight, making me loose heaps of time which I couldn't spare, but here we are anyway.

Race was a struggle, to be honest. 20 minutes and pretty physical. Held up around P20 after getting overtaken by the driver behind me on the first lap, and struggled to get the kart turned on the downhill corners. Should have taken it easier and just learnt the track but seeing the guy in front pull through and gain time in front did play with my mind and I just held the pace the whole time. Pace was somewhat stable which is something good I got from it, but I was averaging 2.4 seconds off the race leader. Live to learn, and while when I finished the race I did tell everyone I spoke to about it that it was no big deal and it's all in good fun, after I got home that day I started looking into it and I haven't been happy with it ever since, but yeah. Live and learn, especially from these guys. Sucks I couldn't catch up and learn from the people in front of me but next race will be better.

After the races, we did the podium ceremony and spent a bit of time having lunch together and snacking just like we like to do here in Spain with Tapas and all. Super good times with everybody being really kind and welcoming. Still did bad on the race as I said but hey, the food was insanely good lol.

Overall... a learning experience. Race one was good but second one taught me a lot. Let's see how we approach the next one from this series in 2 weeks in Sevilla. Should be a 1 heat endurance style 40 minute race with hopefully a minimum of 10 minutes qualifying, so we'll see how it goes. For Evora's one, I don't have pictures of the race, so excuse me this time.

This week we're racing on the regional endurance championship again. We'll try to hold onto P3, but it'll be a game of luck with the karts here. This place isn't known for good maintenance so we'll just have fun and try out best. Would love to bring home another trophy but we shall see. We'll be training Friday and racing Sunday if it all goes well.

Just to decompress a bit from these couple weeks, I decided to meet up with a couple friends, who also brought their friends, on one of the best "for fun" circuits here in Madrid, where I'm staying until tomorrow visiting my brother. I love this track and how well the karts are maintained. They may not run on the same tenth but most if not all drive really well and never break down. It's just superb. They also installed these new pixelcoms on them so you can see your times and leaderboard live, which is insane to find out what works and what doesn't in terms of racing line and driving style.

I did record the 3 runs, 10 minutes each. First, is a very cool moment from one of my friends: I came through from the right, wearing all black (I wasn't going to suit up for a for fun stint lol), saw him on the left, signalled for him to follow me and off we went progressing as much as we could for a couple laps (even though you just see like 20 seconds on the video). The other ones are the full 3 stints. First one was a warmup one, in which I did end up P1. Second one P2 as there was some young guy who races Rotax's and I was 0.5 or so behind his time, superb fun. 3rd one was fun as well, getting P1. See for yourself:

Return to “General Discussions”