Bike upgrades or new bike

Everything about nothing and other stuff that don't fit in other categories goes here.
CDMC
Admin
Admin

Re: Bike upgrades or new bike

Post by CDMC »

for the shifter thing, yea, go for separate ones, you will have more flexibility and in case you break off the handle, you can just swap it and you don't have to swap the entire thing. My GT has separate ones and its fine, Bulls however have combined ones and if i want to go hydraulic, theres more stuff to swap... On GT, buy brakes and you're done, no extra messing around or spending extra for new shifter levers

DanDeKalb
Modder
Modder

Post by DanDeKalb »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

CDMC
Admin
Admin

Post by CDMC »

Hidden Content

Maxidyne

Post by Maxidyne »

Hidden Content

Pig Pen: boy, these lonely long highways sure grind the souls of us cowboys. - Keep the bugs Image off’n your glass and the bears off’n your ass!

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Post by Plane And Simple »

Looks good! Very nice explanation as well. Enjoy the upgrade!

DanDeKalb
Modder
Modder

Post by DanDeKalb »

Thanks for the help guys, couldn't have made such a good choice without you.
I think I need to adjust the derailleurs slightly, I didn't do that when I installed the shifters because I thought I didn't modify anything, but I forgot about cable tension. :D

Anyway, I did a solo ride today and went down some of my favorite downhill sections. Wow, just wow. I can ride so much better and faster with these, before I was on the brake most of the time with 3 fingers fighting to slow down enough. Now just a quick pull of two fingers and I'm ready to take the next corner. The next thing to learn is how fast I can ride each portion. Some places need no brakes at all, others are more technical, roots and trees. Also I will buy a frame guard or make one myself, I hate the sound of chain slap.
Honestly, it feels like a new bike to me, fantastic.

Still thinking about that dropper post, I'm trying to raise the saddle slightly each ride to see what 120mm would feel like (100mm travel + 20mm dropper post collar). Other than that, I'll probably get new tires for next season as an upgrade, for now these are pretty good.

CDMC
Admin
Admin

Post by CDMC »

chain guard? save the money, use old inner tube man....

DanDeKalb
Modder
Modder

Post by DanDeKalb »

I don't think I have an old inner tube, I never changed them on this bike and I didn't have a bike before :D

I went out for a few more rides and the brakes are a lot of fun, however, now I think my tires could use an upgrade, before the brake upgrade I wouldn't really reach their grip limit (and yes, I reduced the pressure in the tires). On asphalt they are good but when I reach gravel and dirt they are a bit loose at times. Also, keep in mind I ride 60-70% pavement and the rest is forest roads or dirt trails.
My current tread: Kenda K1104a 27.5x2.1

As an upgrade, I found some Continental folding tires on sale, 19 euros a piece. I want to try a front/rear combo, and a little wider too.
Front: Continental Cross King 27.5x2.3 (wider in the front, tire for the forest).

Rear: Continental Race King 27.5x2.2 (read these are a good rear tire for pavement as well)

I also heard I could try Maxxis Crossmark as an alternative tire, or the ones I wanted to get the first time, Schwalbe Smart Sam.

CDMC
Admin
Admin

Post by CDMC »

why not just buy two of the same tires?

DanDeKalb
Modder
Modder

Post by DanDeKalb »

Good question, it's not really necessary, I read some people online run different combos. For example, they prefer Cross King in the front, but it wouldn't be so good on the rear for pavement. And the Race King is nice in the rear for pavement but isn't as grippy as the Cross King, so it wouldn't be the best choice up front.
Of course, I could get two of the same tire and it would be fine, I was just exploring this possibility.

Return to “General Discussions”