Bike upgrades or new bike

Everything about nothing and other stuff that don't fit in other categories goes here.
Maxidyne

Re: Bike upgrades or new bike

Post by Maxidyne »

That's one expensive tire:

https://www.internet-bikes.com/277476-c ... gL9AvD_BwE

Almost as expensive as a car tire!

Pig Pen: boy, these lonely long highways sure grind the souls of us cowboys. - Keep the bugs Image off’n your glass and the bears off’n your ass!

CDMC
Admin
Admin

Post by CDMC »

get both the same ones, looks better and i'm 99% sure you wont tell a difference. i wanted to buy expensive Schwalbe tires, but they where out of stock, so i bought cheap Kenda's for like 20E for both and they are absolutely fine (i thought they will be shit) Don't overspend on tires, it not worth it, you're not riding professionally, most of us aren't. Its just waste of money

DanDeKalb
VIP
VIP

Post by DanDeKalb »

Maxidyne wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 19:16
That's one expensive tire:

https://www.internet-bikes.com/277476-c ... gL9AvD_BwE

Almost as expensive as a car tire!
Wow, why are they so expensive? I found one tire for around 20 euros, foldable, not wired.
CDMC wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 19:25
get both the same ones, looks better and i'm 99% sure you wont tell a difference. i wanted to buy expensive Schwalbe tires, but they where out of stock, so i bought cheap Kenda's for like 20E for both and they are absolutely fine (i thought they will be shit) Don't overspend on tires, it not worth it, you're not riding professionally, most of us aren't. Its just waste of money
What do you consider overspending? Is 40 euros total too much?
I imagine the factory put some cheap tires on my bike since I bought it for 200 euros. What Kenda model did you purchase?

CDMC
Admin
Admin

Post by CDMC »

40E for two tires is not to bad actually. The ones i got are Kenda K-1134 cause Schwalbe was sold out and i needed tires fast

They look like this

They are better than i expected and cost half as much as the ones you're looking at :D For the price, i wouldn't mind buying couple more when these gets trashed :emoji28: also i run them on high pressure (still in the range that the tire is rated), they roll fine and still have good grip. Would have even more grip if i lower the pressure, but its fine as it is, it fits my needs

DanDeKalb
VIP
VIP

Post by DanDeKalb »

I see, thanks. Your tires look like they have bigger knobs than mine.

However, I was curious to try a more expensive tire and see if it's actually noticeable.
The tires I have aren't worn all the way, but the rear one is much more worn than the front. I'll probably keep them until next year, I don't like replacing things that are still ok.

CDMC
Admin
Admin

Post by CDMC »

if they are not completely gone (like summer is lol), yea use them till they are gone :D keep the better tire in front mind you. you don't want to put slicks in front and a knoby one in the back, you will have a bad time. i did that, never again :D

DanDeKalb
VIP
VIP

Post by DanDeKalb »

Yup, I agree. Not rotating tires.

Anyway, I was wondering what opinions you have about helmets. I purchased a 25 euro open face helmet from Decathlon a few weeks ago.

However, on some trails and fast descents, I think it would be smart to also have some chin protection (for trees, rocks, the ground...)
In that case, I am considering replacing this one with a full face helmet. I want to have a removable chin guard so I can use it as an open face on the bike lane and full face when riding in the forest.
I am not sure about the models, the best helmets like Bell Super 3R MIPS are 187 euros, which is very expensive and out of my budget. I was thinking that my budget would be around 110 euros max.

Is this a good idea, or am I wasting my money? I wonder if I crash one day, would I regret not buying full face?

CDMC
Admin
Admin

Post by CDMC »

can't help you with a helmet. i don't use them. my take on this is if you don't have a helmet on (riding bikes), you're less likley going to do stupid shit to push your luck and crash.

and if someone wanna comment "oh but what if a car crashes in to you?" i would just say buy a full face helmet and use it every time you leave the house then(biking or not) or don't leave the house ever again.
You can get hit by a bus walling down the street, its a dumb argument so ill just leave it at that.

If you race professionally or do some extreme sports, big MTB jumps, DH and all that crap, full helmet would be what i would go for.
Also if you're buying safety gear like helmets, for fuck sakes don't spare no expense. It's literally an item that can save your life and you don't wanna put a price on that. You just have to have one big crash to say that helmet was fucking worth it :D you know what i mean. Ride safe

DanDeKalb
VIP
VIP

Post by DanDeKalb »

Thanks C, I'll think about a full helmet next season, for now the current one is good enough.
However, I'm back with another problem...

I purchased my Rockshox coil fork (keep the "coil" part in mind) last season, and it's was good fun. Very smooth, a nice upgrade over the stock Suntour XCT.
This season, the fork felt stiff compared to last year, I didn't have it serviced but it just felt hard (I can't use more than half of the travel most of the time) but still very smooth.
So I looked up what the coil should be doing...

Mine doesn't even move half as much, and it only starts to work properly when I lean on the handlebars very hard. Sometimes the fork barely compresses over small bumps or roots/rocks.

And then I read the service manual... my fork has a medium (red) spring for riders weighing between 72kg-83kg. And I was at about 72kg loaded when riding last year, and this year I am around 64kg. And in that video above, the rider is 90kg, so of course the fork does its job a lot better.

So what would you do?
  1. Do nothing, ride the bike as it is but have a very harsh ride.
  2. Put 10kg in my backpack to increase the weight.
  3. Put on weight until I reach 70kg again.
  4. Buy a soft yellow spring (63kg-72kg) to replace the medium red one but I can't find it anywhere in stock, so that's probably not a realistic option.
  5. I figured maybe I could buy an air fork because those have an air chamber that can be tuned for rider weight very easily. But that would mean selling my current fork and buying a second-hand replacement.
  6. The final option would be to sell the whole bike and buy a new one that has an air fork (and has a bit smaller maybe?) I ride a 19.5" bike but the recommended size for my height is 17"-18"
    I could sell the bike to a friend for example, so that wouldn't be a big deal, I think.
Thanks again for the help :D

Plane And Simple
Donator
Donator

Post by Plane And Simple »

I say binge eat like you have nothing better to do lol.

Realistically if you're happy with it i'm sure theres someone who can tune up the fork even if it's with different springs from another brand, but hey if it's bearable and you like the bike i say stick with it

Return to “General Discussions”