Corfu, Greece 2019

Everything about nothing and other stuff that don't fit in other categories goes here.

Corfu, Greece 2019

Postby Se7en » 28 Sep 2019, 21:00

This year I decided to go on a (late) summer vacation to Greece. My destination was a beach town called Ypsos on the island of Corfu in the Ionan sea. :)
My trip started on the 12th of September at 16:00, where I boarded a double decker bus and headed on a 23 hour journey to the beach. :D

Google's trip time is not accurate at all, since it doesn't take into account speed limits, traffic lights, traffic jams, breaks during the trip, border crossing and ferry rides.

The bus was a Van Hool TD927 Astromega, it was a nice ride, lots of leg room!

Also had a great view during the trip! :D

Spotted this nice Scania from Turkey on one of the breaks in Serbia:

At 23:00, the bus crossed the Serbian/Macedonian border and about half an hour later we stopped to get fuel and take a break:

On the same gas station was this VDL Futura from Czech Republic. It was also full of tourists and it was near impossible to buy something in the shop or go to the restroom. :D

That was the first and only break in Macedonia before the Macedonian/Greek border. We reached the MK/GR border at around 02:00 AM. Crossed it relatively quick and continued driving through the night toward the port city of Igoumenitsa. Passed by the city of Thessaloniki, second largest city in Greece. Near that city, we entered Greece's most impressive highway called "Egnatia Odos". It's 890km long and has 76 tunnels!
It extends through whole north part of Greece, connecting the western port of Igoumenitsa to the east side of Greece where the Turkish border is. Between Thessaloniki and Igoumenitsa, I have counted a total of 61 tunnels!

After driving though the night, we stopped at around 08:00 AM for a break in front of a restaurant in the city of Ioannina, about 80 km from Igoumenitsa.

This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Hour and a half later, we finally reached the sea and the port city of Igoumenitsa, where the bus along with the passengers will board a ferry to Corfu!

The ferry that sailed to Corfu:

On the ferry:

On the left side of the ferry was this sailboat racing with us: :D

And on the right side was this huge cruiser overtaking us: :emoji15: :emoji28:

Reached the port of Corfu where I spotted another cruiseliner moored at the docks:

The journey on the ferry took about 1 hour and 45 minutes. After docking in the port of Corfu, we boarded the bus and went on a 40 minute drive to the beach city of Ypsos.
After entering my room and unpacking, I went straight to the beach and spent the rest of the day there. :D

In the evening I went for a walk and in the meantime the moon appeared over the sea: :)

That about sums up the trip and day of arrival. Next two days I spent relaxing, going to the beach and exploring the city.

Click the icon to see the image in fullscreen mode  
1 pcs.
Se7en
Donator

Re: Corfu, Greece 2019

Postby Se7en » 28 Sep 2019, 21:02

After two days of relaxing, I decided to go on some organized trips around Corfu.
First one was on monday (16th September) and it was a tour to a nearby island of Vido as well as a tour of the city of Corfu.
The island of Vido is a significant part of history of my country during the WWI.
In the mausoleum on the island, I found my great-grandfathers name. He was in the Serbian army during WWI.

A bus took the group from Ypsos to Corfu and we boarded a small boat that goes to the island itself.

Nature was great there, the island is not inhabited, so it was very clean and nice.

After the tour of the island, the group went back to the boat and sailed back to the city.
We explored the city for about two hours before heading back to our rooms.

Found a 1HP bus: :D

City center with all the shops for tourists:

Also found a Serbian shop: :D

Nice little restaurant in the city square, reminded me a bit of the restaurant in the tv show 'Allo 'allo! :)

Found a great viewpoint of the sea:

Reminded me a bit of Vice City, almost as if I can hear Diaz screaming "TOMMY! I WANT THAT BOAT!" :emoji23:

Also some pirates went by as well! :emoji38:

1 pcs.
Se7en
Donator

Postby Se7en » 28 Sep 2019, 21:04

The next day (17th) I went back to the city for some more exploring by myself.
Very nice little city, I love the architecture and the overall look of the streets and buildings!

Saw this guy with the coolest hat in the world! :D

Encountered the pirates once again! :emoji23:

And the reason the city was full of people that day - 4 cruiseliners have docked in the port!

1 pcs.
Se7en
Donator

Postby Se7en » 28 Sep 2019, 21:06

On the 18th I went on another organized trip to a couple of cities on the island. It was just a bus ride this time, no boats. (More on the said bus later :D )

First stop was a little town called Palaiokastrista, where we first visited a liquor factory. They make drinks out of a local fruit called Kumquat.

The fruit tree, looks like mini oranges to me! :emoji38:

After a short presentation, we went to the in-house store for a taste test. Very nice and clean interior and nicely stocked shelves!

Next stop was in the same city, a couple of kilometers away near a beach. But instead of going to the beach, I went to an indoor zoo! :D

Majestic turtle!

Gray one came to say hi and the orange one is hiding! :D

After the zoo, went on a little hike and the view of the beach was amazing! Water is crystal clear!

Went back down and in the bus again. We went to the Bella Vista viewpoint which is just above the beach and city. The bus parking can be seen on the picture and the beach on the left of the parking is the one in the picture above!

Next stop was 40 minutes away, in a nothern beach town called Sidari. Didn't take pictures there, there really wasn't anything interesting. Relaxed near the beach in a restaurant!

After Sidari, the tour was over and there was a hour and half drive back.
Back in Vice City! :D :emoji41:

1 pcs.
Se7en
Donator

Postby Se7en » 28 Sep 2019, 21:08

The third and final organized trip was a boat cruise along the east coast of Corfu, from Ypsos to Kassiopi:

Along the way to Kassiopi the boat stopped at two places for the passengers to take a swim. First one was a wild beach and second one was a cave. Water was cold, but refreshing nontheless!
Also, there was barbecue at the wild beach! :emoji12:

Port of Kassiopi:

The boat I was on:

Water here was also crystal clear, though I did not swim here!

Nice little street in Kassiopi:

1 pcs.
Se7en
Donator

Postby Se7en » 28 Sep 2019, 21:10

The rest of the days I spent on the beach as well as going to the city a couple of more times.
Couple pictures of Ypsos, I really like this place. Hoping to go there next year as well, this vacation was perfect!

1 pcs.
Se7en
Donator

Postby CDMC » 28 Sep 2019, 21:15

holy crap man, thats a looong trip :D did you at least got some rest? cause it looks like you never stopped moving in all that time lol
Plane And Simple wrote:Running out of alphabet like...

isonline.CDMC.gif

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
CDMC
Admin

Postby Se7en » 28 Sep 2019, 22:09

Hell yeah I did! I came back from this vacation really well rested! :D
The bus ride was kind of exausting since it was so long, but it was worth it!

It would be kind of boring not to go anywhere for 10 days straight, that's why I went on various trips and cruises. It was very fun! :)

1 pcs.
Se7en
Donator

Postby Maxidyne » 29 Sep 2019, 10:54

Nicely written travelogue, and great photos! :emoji106: I enjoyed reading and watching the photos.

Looks like you had a great time over there. Never been to Greece, by the looks of it we must visit one day.

Pig Pen: boy, these lonely long highways sure grind the souls of us cowboys. - Keep the bugs off’n your glass and the bears off’n your ass!

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
Maxidyne
Where few survive, Mack Bulldogs thrive

Postby CDMC » 29 Sep 2019, 10:57

i think this is the biggest post on IAAG as of now :emoji28:
Plane And Simple wrote:Running out of alphabet like...

isonline.CDMC.gif

1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.
1 pcs.